Thursday 4 April 2013

Trance v Winter's Bone

Easter came and went and I ventured down Cineworld to catch Danny Boyle's latest flick, Trance.

Plot

James McAvoy plays a guy who is into paintings of women with hairless Vageens. He loses a painting worth £25 Million and undergoes hypnotic therapy to help trigger lost memories.

This film is nuttier than squirrel turd. Danny Boyle (oh Danny Boyleeee, the pipes the pipes..) was the incentive for me to watch this. I hadn't read a review or seen a trailer. I didn't even know the plot or who was in it.
But I figured I owe him for not fucking up the Olympic opening ceremony. However I would like to know how George Michael got away with singing that abortion of a second song 'White Light', his new single at the time. Didn't want to play anything we might recognize George you shameless narcissistic self-promoting hack?

Trance looks and feels like an acid trip. I never knew entirely what was going on, and even when leaving the cinema, had trouble describing the film with any cohesion to my super-confused buddy Rory, whom had dismissed it as slick bullshit because he got lost 5 minutes in. I vehemently disagreed with Rory's diagnosis. I found it refreshing to see something this stylish, this fast and never knowing what was round the corner. Even though I felt it come off the rails in the 3rd act, I still went with it and enjoyed my induced state of befuddlement.

Tomato Meter - 70% (critics)
Tomato Meter - 78% (audience)
Peter Meter - 82%

Over the week I have watched Winter's Bone on the iPlayer as I ate my salmon dinners.

Plot

Jennifer Lawrence goes from house to house in some Hill Billy country and asks 'Is Dad home?'

What I would say about this film is that it has its own feel and atmosphere. It makes you feel physically cold watching it, but that could also have something to do with the lack of central heating in my flat. But does that really mean anything?
I fell asleep eating dinner twice whilst watching this. That could mean something.
It's almost faultless if you have to critique the film as a stand alone piece of cinema, but I failed to engage with the story. It's unlike any other film, but then so is Berbarian Sound Studio, and although it's not in that cat-shit sandpit, its looking on, keeping watch.


Tomato Meter - 94 % (critics)
Tomato Meter - 74% (audience)
Peter Meter - 67% 

Summary

I have watched very little else this week as I have been busy learning new tunes for a funk fusion cover band based in Milton Keynes, (watch this space) and have also had my head in essays for my degree whilst reviewing bands for local papers. But what I will recommend for you all is a clip from Kick Ass. This is the reason why I love Nic Cage, he can take just one line from the script and make it entirely his own. Follow the link provided and thank me later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdCeXz2AFYA&feature=share

So watch the Link provided and NOT Trance OR Winter's Bone.

@thepeterbrooker



No comments:

Post a Comment