Thursday 28 March 2013

The Proposal v Extremely Loud and Incredibly close

Haven't made it to the cinema this week but thought I'd give a timely review of Extremely loud and Incredibly close.

PLOT 

Annoying kid drags a man that refuses to talk across the streets of New York to find a lock that fits a key that was left by Tom Hanks (sigh).

I sat through this a couple of weeks ago with the mother of all hangovers.
Now a couple of things about this movie. It has a kid that has some kind of syndrome that makes him hyper vigilant and super annoying. Most child actors can't help being super annoying, it's just in their DNA. So to give him 'annoying shit' syndrome on top, is really the recipe for a shit sandwich without the bread (Thankyou marine guy from Red Dawn).
Secondly I think I missed a meeting where it was decided that Tom Hanks is now hot and anyone now cast opposite him as a love interest must be wildly attractive. There was Julia Roberts in Larry Crowne, Halle Berry in Cloud Atlas (true true) and now Sandra Bullock in this. The guy is 57, and as Marsellous Wallace would say, 'his ass ain't aging like wine'.
But eventually the film won me over and I cried heavy manly tears into my kettle chips.

Tomato meter - 47% (critics)
Tomato meter - 62% (audience)
Peter Meter - 74%

As I was incredibly moved by Bullocks performance in that film, I caught The Proposal on the iPlayer Sunday night.

PLOT

Sandra Bullock plays a publisher that has to marry her PA, charisma vacuum Ryan Reynolds, to avoid deportation.

This film is BULLOCKS. Thankyou.
I was expecting maybe a few pithy laughs or some cutesy distraction from Bullock but there is nothing to see here. Move along people, nothing to see here.
I had a quick look on IMDB to see if there has been a Ryan Reynolds film that I liked and found just one. Adventureland.
What is strange is that he has a lot of range in terms of film genres. He does horrible rom-coms, horrible action fantasy, and horrible suspense thrillers. Now rumoured to be cast as Connor McLoud of the Clan McLoud in the new Highlander.
This is very depressing.

Tomato meter - 43% (critics)
Tomato meter - 74% (audience)
Peter meter - 23%

QUICK PLUG 

So tomorrow I'll be trekking down to see Missing Andy play at the KOKO in Camden. I highly recommend everyone does the same. Two coaches will be leaving Braintree to attend the gig, so look out Camden, the Essex are coming.
I am also going to be playing down the Bull in Braintree on Sunday as part of my buddies birthday party so come along to that if you're local.

FINALLY

A good work buddy accosted me today and asked me to recommend some DVD viewing over the Easter break. I had a quick moments reflection and thought, The Raid. I saw Argo as well the other day, winner of best movie at the Oscars recently. The Raid kicks Argo's ass. Let's not forget that Driving Miss Daisy also won best picture 1989, it's not always a good barometer to go by.

The Raid is incredible and perhaps the most enjoyable experience I had at the cinema last year. So go watch The Raid and NOT Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close OR The Proposal.


@thepeterbrooker




No comments:

Post a Comment