Sunday 8 September 2013

2 guns v 360

Last night I took my brother to see a late show of 2 Guns at the Cineworld.

Plot Summary

Denzel and Marky Mark team up in this empty calorie buddy cop flick. You want it to be Tango and Cash, but then you could possibly say that about every film. 

I have been drinking quite heavily over the last couple of days. Normally the last place I want to be is in the cinema on a hangover. I get nauseous, anxious, and generally just want to throw up in my popcorn. I once went to see Collateral at the cinema with my first girlfriend on a killer hangover. She paid. I made it past the trailers, caught the first scene where Jason Statham bumps into Cruise and tells him to 'Enjoy LA', then got up and left. I felt like my innards were going to end up in my girlfriends lap.
Do you think Statham would have made a good Batman? He's got the gravel voice and a decent enough chin. Imagine a stubbly Batman with a terrible American accent.

But I survived.
The film was a distraction at best. I felt like the tone was a bit all over the place, I wanted it to be funnier but it chose to go down the stylish route, which is fair enough.

Tomato Meter - 63% critics
Tomato Meter - 74% audience
Peter Meter - 75%

Just now I turned to the iPlayer to watch something equally disposable. Instead I indulged 360.

Plot Summary 

A series of broken relationships dovetail into each other. It didn't at any point remind me of Tango and Cash but I still wanted it to be Tango and Cash.

It's a film that begs the existential question; Why are we here? Are we just a random bunch of atoms bumping into each other, seeking pleasure where we can? Or do each of us have a course of destiny that is entwined with another? How do we earn trust in a relationship and how do we deal the loss of a partner or death of a sibling? 
Fuck me I sound like that chick from Sex in the City.
Anyway this film goes someway in answering those questions. It isn't preachy and just gives you the chance to have a sneaky peak at the lives of others. Anthony Hopkins nails his part and perhaps deserved more screen time.
I enjoyed this, I can't think why more people didn't like it. Maybe because it lacks serious jeopardy until the last 5 minutes.

Tomato Meter - 21% critics
Tomato Meter - 33% audience
Peter Meter - 82%

Verdict

A quick shout out to Tommy Morrison who died earlier this week. He was a fighter that appeared in the Rocky 5 film as Tommy Gunn. He won about 40 fights most of those by knockout. I googled some of his fights earlier this week and there are some great knockdowns. He made Razor Ruddock hit the deck like a puppet that had his strings cut. So WATCH Tommy Morrison beat Razor Ruddock and NOT 2 Guns OR 360.




No comments:

Post a Comment