Tuesday 2 October 2012

'THE DISAPPEARANCE OF ALICE CREED' v 'COWBOYS AND ALIENS'

WATCH THIS NOT THAT 


The Disappearance of Alice Creed (Available from Braintree Library)


' v


Cowboys and Aliens (Available from Blockbusters)


Well first up is The Disappearance of Alice Creed starring Eddie Marsden and Gemma Arterton. A naked Gemma Arterton handcuffed to a bed and stripped to her underwear.
Now that sounds like good doesn't it?
Infact they should have put that on the poster.
Well it's good in theory (and even better in practice baby) but there is more going on in this film than just my ideal fantasy. There is a crazy-convoluted mysterious love triangle at the heart of this edgy suspenseful flick.
To talk about it to much could potentially ruin it for any would be viewers, but i will say that it is tidy, efficient, crisp and compelling-ish. I enjoyed Eddie Marsden's performance, and would love to see him do more underground movies like this, than say the fantastically underwhelming HANCOCK.

One small sidebar on this. I once did a music video filled entirely with naked ladies posing as instruments. I showed it to my good buddy Bobby Johnson and he had one thing to say...

"It's good, but I can't knock one out to it."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1tshp_original-cast-what-am-i-supposed-to_music?search_algo=2

Follow the link, judge for yourself.

In a way I get his point, and i can relate it to this film too. Ok Gemma Arterton gets naked and has her dignity stripped, but at no point was I physically stimulated. The tagline for the poster would have been a lie.


NEXT

Cowboys and Aliens

Ok for the last week I've been strung out on antibiotics and nurofen due to an unwelcome gum infection. I wanted something disposable, and thought the aesthetics of Jon Favreau's critically slammed COWBOYS and ALIENS would be just the tonic.
And it was.
It's perfectly forgettable, and I managed to fall asleep, even though the pain from gums was splicing every thought and beat that emanated from my heavily sedated brain.
There is a lovely little relationship between Harrison Ford the veteran cowboy warrior and an Indian boy he has adopted on his travels, I even cried.
Other than that, an exquisite waste of time.

So it's hard to pick a winner between the two, because they both catered to my mood at the time.

But for shits and giggles...

WATCH (my music video, follow the link, set the family filter off)  NOT The Disappearance of Alice Creed OR Cowboys and Aliens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment