Sunday 23 September 2012

CHARIOTS OF FIRE v KILLING THEM SOFTLY

CHARIOTS OF FIRE v KILLING THEM SOFTLY

ok not like for like, but something of a grudge match none the less.

First off CHARIOTS OF FIRE. (DVD from the library) 


Now I'm of the generation that grew up with Nescafe Nigel Havers and not Chariots of Fire Nigel Havers.

For those that don't remember, Nescafe ran a series of adverts that played out like a soap opera and featured Nigel Havers trying desperately to charm his way into his neighbours knickers.

So in my eyes, Havers had some ground to make up (pardon the pun) if he was to redeem himself as a credible actor. 
And to my surprise he does so, and would have liked to have seen more of him in this. 
The opening sequence is wonderful and pays homage to an era of cinema that allowed opening credits to stretch over 5 minutes.
For over good examples see SUPERMAN, for bad examples see OVER THE TOP.

Talking of Sly, if you thought some of the training scenes in Rocky was homo erotic, it pales significantly in comparison to when Ian Holm turns up and starts rubbing buttermilk on the back of Ben Cross's back.

The film stands up, has a wonderful intensity to it but feels a bit flabby in places. The John Gielgood scenes bored me slightly which is a shame. 

And lets face it, its a film about RUNNING. We are just watching men run, either in a straight line, or in a circle. So considering the subject matter, its amazing this film held my attention at all.

NOW, on to something that is right up my dirt track, people running around shooting each other with shotguns.

KILLING THEM SOFTLY (at cinemas now)

Brad Pitt, Ray Liotta 
 
First off I saw this film on a four beer buzz so was probably expecting to doze off after the 20 minute mark.

But the film kept me in the game, and I think that was down to the writing, the characters were genuinely interesting and worth investing in.

I want to echo Mark Kermode (Wittertainment podcast 5live) who said this film is about machoism, but ultimately all the characters portrayed are cowards.

After watching The Curious Case of Benjamin Button a month back, I remember thinking, Brad Pitt owes me one.

I'm happy to say he has cleared the ledger. 

SO watch KILLING THEM SOFTLY and not CHARIOTS OF FIRE

No comments:

Post a Comment