Monday 28 October 2013

The Kingdom v Captain Phillips

The other night I found The Kingdom amongst my collection. Can't remember how it got there but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Plot Summary

Jamie Fox heads over to the middle east to find a naughty bomber. He keeps his sun glasses on throughout. It's like Ray basically, with machine guns. 

Piven, does good slime.
The film gets out of the blocks fast, the first 10-15 are explosive, literally. I was writing out my shopping list for tomorrow and I simply couldn't concentrate with all that was happening. As a result I went into Tesco later the next day and had to completely wing it. Luckily I'm a creature of habit and knew exactly what I was going to get. However a carefully prepared list does take the pressure off. This is another film where Jeremy Piven plays a slippery character drenched in slime. He plays it so well it makes me wonder if he has trouble attracting women in real life. The women Piven snares for sexual congress must first enter a terrible dichotomy of choice; Yes they can claim the bragging rights to sleeping with a hollywood A-lister, but at the cost of it being with Jeremy Piven, the actor who is primarily synonymous with slime. If you're a woman that's had a one night stand with Jeremy Piven, please write in and explain the thought process behind your actions.

Tomato Meter - 51% (critics)
Tomato Meter - 76% (audience)
Peter Meter     - 79%


Captain Phillips.

Plot summary

Erika Eleniak stays in the cake, Casey Ryback never makes it out the kitchen.

A water hose is no match for a semi-automatic
Well first things first. Tom Hanks is strutting around the boat barking orders, telling people to lock doors, go faster, slower, left, right etc. I mean there were many audible groans from the audience when at one point he told his crew to drink up their coffee and get back to work. It obviously hit several nerves and Hanks had a long way to come back from if he was going to win over the hearts of these anti-jobs-worth movie goers. Paul Greengrass the director has this knack of telling a story cinematically with incredible realism. One of the ways he achieves this is by having real Somalian pirates in the film punch Hanks repeatedly in the face. Only joking. People talk about Woody Allen having a return to form, but I think maybe Greengrass needed one more. Bourne Ultimatum was ultimately forgettable, even more so Green ZZZZzzzzone. But this was a hit and destroy if we are talking Battleship terms.

Tomato Meter - 94% (critics)
Tomato Meter - 94% (audience)
Peter Meter     - 92% 

Verdict

Well let me tell you something. This is probably Hanks's best film since The Money Pit. It will get him an oscar nod but I've heard he won't win. Yes I am in the know, thanks for asking. However it isn't as good as The Money Pit and not many films are. If you want to see some exquisite Hanks acting then watch him laugh in the clip I have dug out for you. A real treat i promise you. So WATCH Tom Hanks laugh in The Money Pit, and NOT The Kingdom OR Captain Phillips.









No comments:

Post a Comment