Sunday 16 December 2012

Die Hard 4.0 v Red Lights

Didn't get the chance to go to the cinema this week due to a succession of debilitating hangovers, so I revisited Die Hard 4 this week on DVD. 



MOVIE INFO

An old-fashioned cop emerges to foil a high-tech attack on the country's computer infrastructure as Bruce Willis brings back one of the biggest action franchises in screen history. It's been over a decade since audiences last saw New York cop John McClane (Willis), but now, as the world's greatest criminal mastermind (Timothy Olyphant) attempts to cripple the entire country with an innovative act of technological terrorism, only one cop can insure that the integrity of the system stays intact. In this, the fourth installment of the long-running action series, Underworld director Len Wiseman picks up the torch formerly carried by directors John McTiernan and Renny Harlin to helm a script penned by Mark Bomback.

When my flatmate moved out over the summer, he left a box of wine by the foot of his bed. It was a slight disappointment to find the box empty of wine, but filled with summer blockbusters that I had seen, and mentally disposed of long ago. But I was drunk anyway so the thought of watching Die Hard 4 (Live free or Die Hard) again, was actually quite appealing to my dullened mind. 

I made some notes on my BlackBerry at the time of watching;

1. Watching people watching computers on my computer is not altogether inspiring.

2. The bad guys costume or lack of, was a massive misstep 

3. I can't believe Darius Danesh got such high billing in this film. (look up Cliff Curtis on IMDB for that hilarious analogy).

4. James Bond would never talk to himself out loud.

5. The common thread in all Die Hard movies is that Willis always gets to speak to the main villain on a walkie talkie that belonged to a henchman, that Willis has just killed. 

TOMATO-METER - 81% (critics)

TOMATO-METER - 86% (audience)

PETER-METER - 72%

The next day I sobered and went to the library for some peace and quiet. I rented out the latest Coldplay Album, Romeo and Juliet (Manga comic edition) and Red Lights on DVD. 

MOVIE INFO

Veteran paranormal researchers Dr. Margaret Matheson (Sigourney Weaver) and Tom Buckley (Cillian Murphy) debunk fraudulent claims of ghost whispering, faith healing and other psychic phenomena by detecting what Matheson calls "red lights," the subtle tricks behind every staged supernatural occurrence. But when the legendary blind psychic Simon Silver (Robert De Niro)comes out of retirement after 30 years, his once-fearless adversary Matheson warns Buckley to back off, fearing reprisal from the powerful Silver. Determined to discredit Silver, Buckley and his star student (Elizabeth Olsen) use every tool at their disposal to uncover the truth behind the charismatic, spoon-bending, mind reader. But Buckley is forced to reexamine his own core beliefs as his quest builds to a mind-blowing conclusion in this taut psychological thriller from award-winning writer and director Rodrigo Cortés. 
A couple of things. I saw this drunk in the evening, passed out. Come morning I was eager to catch the second act and watched it on a hangover. At the time i remember thinking this is a really interesting premise for me. Following the people for whom its job it is to debunk psychic phenomena. They reveal tricks used my mediums, such as lifting chairs and tables of the ground by simple use of counter weights and distraction. Very clever stuff, and interestingly portrayed. The visual aesthetic has a very chic look, almost clinical, which I liked. The main problem I had was the writing seemed a little hacky at times and Cillian Murphy although blessed with the most striking cheek bones, is a bit of a charisma vacuum in a lead role. He has yet to convince me. The ending is problematic and i didn't feel that it worked with all the things leading up to it. It felt messy and ultimately let the rest of the movie (that was hanging on by a thread at that point anyway) down. 
Not without merit, but I wonder what will become of Cillian Murphy. He will no doubt go on to do better things, but what sort career will he carve out for himself. He is almost like a writer that has yet to find his voice. 

TOMATO-METER - 29% (critics)

TOMATO-METER - 36% (audience)

PETER-METER  - 45%

I think Cillian Murphy is best used sparingly. Inception is indubitably his finest hour, but I should also say that I have seen the Dark Knight Rises 3 times this week. How sad and wretched my life has become. He is of course the Scarecrow character that features in all three of the Nolan Batmans. So best for me being The Dark Knight. So watch THE DARK KNIGHT and not DIE HARD 4 or RED LIGHTS. 



No comments:

Post a Comment