Thursday 14 November 2013

Gravity v Rescue Dawn

Friday night

So I have been listening to these Zen podcasts about how to get out of your comfort zone and experience new things. So I went to my sisters BBQ and met a load of new people. I hung around a group of guys and listened to them talk about when best to put winter tires on there 4x4's, and what airports have the best parking facilities. I don't think I spoke for about 15 minutes. Finally my sister called me into the kitchen and asked me to cut up some finger rolls in preparation for the hot dogs. There I was, playing my role as butler when it occurred to me how hilarious it would be to pack one of the finger rolls with my own wiener. I could deliver the tray at groin height and cover the faux-wiener with coleslaw and shredded lettuce and surely hilarity would ensue. So I prepped the dogs and gave the boy a couple of taps to make sure it would sufficiently fill the bun. Just then a small child ran into the kitchen asking me when the hotdogs would be ready. A sudden panic rushed through me and I realized in an instant how this gag could suddenly backfire very quickly. Imagine the headlines this innocent party trick would create should the child unwittingly pick the wrong dog in my game of wiener-roulette. So I dished out the dogs in a grown up manner, listened to a bit more chat about winter tires and left very early. On the way home I passed the cinema and popped into watch Gravity.
An example of Gravity


Plot Summary

Sandra Bullock does multiple backflips and somersaults and then bumps into Bruce Willis stranded on an asteroid. Only kidding.


This movie proves why the Bechdel test is pointless and flawed. For the uninitiated, The Bechdel test asks whether a work of fiction features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. I think this test is bullshit for a couple of reasons. I don't sit down and watch Beaches and say, 'hey, this film is just a bunch of women sitting around talking about their periods. Where are the guys talking about their winter tires and their allen wrenches?' Clearly some films are targeted for different genders, it doesn't make them sexist. This film doesn't pass the test, and the protagonist of the movie is a woman that is highly driven, educated and happens to be in every scene of the film. So yes, Pulp Fiction fails the Bechdel test, so do all the Star Wars films, but for me this is just one of those things, let the guys have their science fiction flicks and their gentlemen clubs, women join the party if you like but don't go calling us sexist. It's unlady like. I have seen this film twice now and it is a must for 3D.

Tomato Meter - 97% (critics)
Tomato Meter - 87% (audience)
Peter Meter - 96%

Sunday night

I trawled through the iPlayer and found Rescue Dawn.


Plot Summary


Christian Bale gets trapped in a Vietnamese prison and has to sleep next to a guy who shits himself every night. 


Connery playing a Spaniard with a Scottish accent

I haven't heard of this one, what a treat it is for me these days to watch a film I know nothing about with an actor I enjoy watching. I don't want to do any spoilers but there is a fantastic beheading in this film. I was trying to think of films that have wonderful beheadings, of course Demolition Man comes to mind. Highlander is up there but the scene always makes me feel sad because Connery was such a great character in that flick. I want to feel a warm glow in my under belly after a good beheading, not melancholic despair. This has taken a turn for the weird, I better wrap this up.


Tomato Meter - 90% (critics) 
Tomato Meter - 73% (audience)
Peter Meter - 80%

Verdict

In the week I took a midnight drive with someone that I hadn't seen in a long time. We went to the top of Primrose Hill, smoked some cigarettes and played spot the Pedophile. It was magical. So WATCH the view from the top of Primrose Hill and NOT Gravity OR Rescue Dawn








No comments:

Post a Comment