Saturday 2 February 2013

Zero Dark Thirty v Moonrise Kindom

Last sunday I caught the late showing of Zero Dark Thirty with my good buddy Alex Greaves and the lovely Lauren Gell at the local Cineworld.


MOVIE INFO

For a decade, an elite team of intelligence and military operatives, working in secret across the globe, devoted themselves to a single goal: to find and eliminate Osama bin Laden. Zero Dark Thirty reunites the Oscar winning team of director-producer Kathryn Bigelow and writer-producer Mark Boal (The Hurt Locker) for the story of history's greatest manhunt for the world's most dangerous man.


Going in I had mixed expectations. I liked the directors previous picture The Hurt Locker, but had not been overwhelmed with other war films set in the Middle east. Black Hawk Down was ok, Three Kings I've not revisited, The Green Zone was a major disappointment. Vietnam spawned the best war flicks. Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Full Metal Jacket and yes I'm going to throw Forrest Gump in there too.
So knowing the content, the genre, even the ending to the film before going in, gave me an unnerving sense of trepidation. The film reportedly was based upon a failed attempt to capture Bin Laden, but after we nailed that dick in 2011 the writers had to rejig the script. The beginning shows a lot of torture scenes. Torture scenes always leave me pondering; at what point would I blab. Waterboarding looks terrible, but I'd take that any day over someone duct taping my hands to a steering wheel, snipping the ends of my fingers off with a cigar cutter before cauterizing the wound with a dashboard lighter. (Anyone care to name that movie?).
But there is a lot of it, and at the core of the film lies the question, does torture work as a means to get information? Is it morally right to do so?
Well the film doesn't glaze over this. Infact the information that secures the lead to Bin Ladens lair is actually ascertained without the use of torture, so you could say, no. By the way that is not a plot spoiler if you know your history.
I would say there was a lot of meat to this film, some of which I found hard to get through. Much like the massive bag of Minstrels I was eating to myself, I enjoyed it, but found it tough going. (I managed though).
The ending however is fascinating. The finale of the seal team going in without the consent of the Pakistani government and taking down the big dick was realistic and gripping. The end is not really an ending or a cliff hanger so brace yourself for that.

Best bit: When Jessica Chastain is told that we're going in. It's time to kick ass!
Worst bit: When I heard that they're not showing this film in Pakistan because they believe the content is not appropriate. Come on Pakistan, grow up.

Tomato Meter - 94% (critics)
Tomato Meter - 84% (audience)
Peter Meter  - 80%

So last night I got a bag of chips and a steak pie and rented Moonrise Kingdom.


MOVIE INFO

Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom tells the story of two twelve-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact, and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing off-shore -- and the peaceful island community is turned upside down in more ways than anyone can handle. Bruce Willis plays the local sheriff. Edward Norton is a Khaki Scout troop leader. Bill Murray and Frances McDormand portray the young girl's parents. The cast also includes Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, and Jared Gilman and Kara Hayward as the boy and girl. 


I fell asleep with my clothes on during this movie and woke up this morning with my feet dangled dangerously close to the fan heater. So I caught the last half hour between writing the second book and making some Italian tomato soup. First off, its hard to get involved with a film about scouts. I fucking hated being in the scouts myself. I broke my arm during a game of 'it' when a porker fell on top of me. Every other scout earned their first aid badge as they took it in turns to put my bust arm in a sling before I was shipped off to an A&E. I don't use the word hate lightly and I vehemently hated the scouts. But I managed to put my prejudices aside and enjoyed the cuteness of this little film. It has a good heart and every shot is clinical. All the actors are playing everything straight, little room for emotion. The feel of the film was perhaps better than its content. I was never bored but Wes Anderson is an acquired taste and chances are you won't like this if you don't like his other work. Royal Tenenbaums, Fantastic Mr Fox etc.

Best bit: Realizing I hadn't set fire to myself in my sleep.
Worst bit: Feeling that I wasted a Friday night.

Tomato Meter - 94% (critics)
Tomato Meter - 87% (audience)
Peter Meter - 74%


Now lately i have been too busy to watch anything recent, but I will recommend a better Wes Anderson movie; Rushmore. I remember catching that at college and think I might dig that one out later and watch it. So watch RUSHMORE and not ZERO DARK THIRTY or MOONRISE KINGDOM.

@thepeterbrooker

No comments:

Post a Comment